Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Managing Expectations

What's the fastest thing on earth? The three day weekend. I had such high hopes and big plans for what I would accomplish this Memorial Day weekend, but, like the best laid schemes of mice and men....I was feeling on and off sick, Mike worked on Saturday, it was too hot to be outside with the little ones, and so forth and so on. I always think I'm going to get more done than is actually possible. But this weekend, I got even less done than usual.

We did, however, spend some quality time together as a family, and I am thankful for that.

I did not start the project of remodeling the bedroom that is currently my husband's and mine into the girls' shared room. I did not putty, caulk, and put a second coat of paint on the new porch handrails. I did not do all the laundry, mop the floors, or reorient the area rug in the living room. I did try to convince myself that all that not doing is OK. It is, right?

I did do a lot of vacuuming, so there's that. I hung the fire extinguisher back up, finally getting it off the kitchen table after we took it and its hook thingy down to paint the basement hallway. I got Mike to start taking some of the pictures I want to use in what will be my pretty new blog banner. Mike cooked turkey burgers and turkey dogs on the grill and that was a joy to behold (and eat). And Mike and I went out to dinner alone. I did think, at one point, that I was going to throw up in the bathroom at the Olive Garden, but fortunately it passed. And then I could not stop eating. It was like I hadn't eaten in weeks. Then I felt better. Ah, food. (No, I'm not pregnant!) Oh, Mike and I also watched the penultimate episode of this season of Game of Thrones. "Blackwater." It was awesome! And we didn't even have to go to work the next morning.

So, the weekend passed without any big time checking off of the list. But it also passed pleasantly and in great company. Summer seems to be officially here. There will be time, there will be time. A hundred visions and revisions, indeed. During the in between time, I will manage my expectations and continue to daydream. And ask Mike to continue cooking on the grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment